We live in a country where unannounced power cuts are more frequent and having an inverter UPS at home will help you in such situations.
What is an Inverter?
An inverter is an electrical device that converts DC Voltage into AC voltage.
In layman language, it stores the energy (electricity) as a backup in the batteries when there is power and distributes it in order to run home appliances in case of a power failure.
Before buying an inverter for home, it is advised to opt for a reputed brand. Although, it increases your budget at the moment, you’ll save a lot in the long run in terms of maintenance.
Also See: Best Inverter Air Conditioners in India
Top 10 Inverters for Home Use in India 2018
|Luminous Zelio+ 1700||Pure sinewave; LED display; Bypass switch; Works as inverter/UPS for PC|
|Microtek UPS SEBz 1100 VA||Pure Sine Wave; DSC technology; UPS transfer time is 15 ms; Max load upto 800 watts|
|Luminous Zelio+ 1100||Pure sinewave; LED display; Max load up to 600 watts; MCB protection|
|Sukam Brainy Eco 1100VA Solar Inverter||Pure sinewave hybrid; ATC technology; Solar charging; Auto-bypass; Max load up to 800 watts;|
|Microtek UPS 950Va Hybrid Inverter||Hybrid Sinewave; Works as inverter/UPS for PC; IBGM technology; Bypass switch; No humming sound|
|APC Home UPS 850VA||Pure Sine Wave; Shock Proof; Max load up to 500 watts; Compact and Lightweight|
|Exide 850Va Home UPS Inverter||Pure SInewave; DSP Technology; Digital LCD display; Max load up to 580 watts;|
|Microtek Upseb 900 Va Inverter||Square Wave; Budget Friendly; LCD display; CCCV technology; Short-Circuit protection|
How to Select an Inverter for Home? [Buying Guide]
Keep these things in your mind before selecting an inverter or home UPS.
1] Power Requirement:
What electrical home appliances do you wish to run on the inverter when there is no power?
Since each appliance has different power requirement, it is highly advised to note down what appliances are a must so that it will be easy for you to decide what inverter battery you should purchase.
Say for example, a regular fan uses 70 watts and a tube light uses 40 watts. And, if you use 2 fans and 3 tube lights while there is a power cut, then your power requirement would be: 70 x 2 + 40 x 3 = 260 watts.
2] Type of Inverter:
There are 3 types of inverters, namely
- Sine Wave Inverter (Most Recommended): Although a bit costly, these are the best when it comes to handling heavier appliances.
- Modified Sine Wave Inverter (Budget Friendly): These are cheaper compared to sine wave inverters but works with majority of the appliances. However, it may reduce the power efficiency when used longer.
- Square Wave Inverter (Avoid Them): These are the cheapest of all and works only with simple tools.
3] Inverter Battery:
I personally recommend using the tubular batteries. Although, a bit costly, they have longer life span (7 to 8 years) when compared to flat plate batteries (4 to 5 years).
The only thing you should make sure is to fill it regularly with distilled water for the battery to run well.
Best Inverters in India for Home Use
1.Luminous Zelio+ 1700 Sine Wave UPS
Luminous is one India’s leading manufacturer of home electrical products.
The Zelio+ 1700 is a pure sinewave inverter UPS that can be used both as an inverter and a UPS for personal computer.
You need to purchase a 24V double battery separately. It takes 10 to 12 hours to recharge completely.
It comes with LED display, bypass switch in case of inverter faults.
It works with heavier electronic appliances like washing machine, refrigerator etc…
- Pure sinewave inverter
- Works with all electronic products
- LED display shows backup power with time
- Bypass switch in case of faulty inverter
- Works both as a inverter and a UPS for PC
- Comes with 2 Year Manufacturer Warranty
- Slight noise when the cooling fan is running but not much noticeable
- A bit costly but worth the price
2.Microtek Static Converter UPS SEBz 1100 VA Sinewave Technology
Microtek is a popular Taiwan-based multinational company that specializes in manufacturing consumer electronics.
This home inverter UPS comes with transfer time of just 15 milliseconds and has maximum load of 800 W.
Thanks to the Digital Signal Controller Based intelligent control design, the inverter automatically switches itself from main power to battery power in case of a power failure.
You can run heavy appliances like refrigerator, printer, washing machines etc…using this inverter. But, you need to get a suitable inverter battery to manage those items.
- Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- Comes with DSC technology
- UPS transfer time is just 15 milliseconds
- Maximum load up to 800 watts
- No humming sound noticed so far in home appliances
- Comes with 2 years manufacturer warranty
- No temperature sensor
- No LCD display
3.Luminous Zelio+ 1100 Home Pure Sinewave Inverter UPS
Unlike the Zelio+ 1700, this home UPS inverter is budget friendly and is ideal for home use.
It has a maximum output load of 600 watts and works with all types of batteries – tubular, flat plate or maintenance free.
There is a MCB (miniature circuit breaker) system that ensures automatic protection against any power overloads or short circuts.
You can run 3 CFLs, 3 ceiling fans, 3 tube lights, 1 television and 1 air cooler using a 12 V single battery.
- Pure sinewave
- Works with heavier electronic appliances too (req bigger battery)
- Maximum load up to 600 watts
- LED display
- MCB protection
- 2 Year Onsite Warranty
- Slight noise from the cooling fan
- No water level indicator
4.Sukam Brainy Eco 1100VA Solar Home Ups Inverter
Su-Kam Power Systems Ltd., is an Indian company with produces a wide range of products like inverters, UPS, batteries etc…
This hybrid inverter also works as a UPS for computer.
It is equipped with ATC technology (Automatic Temperature Compensation), which keeps the charging voltage in control. This increases the lifespan of the battery by upto 6 months.
There is also an additional bypass feature that cuts-off the power in case of any faults in the power cables.
The biggest advantage of this inverter is its solar charging ability, which reduces a lot of electricity consumption.
The maximum power is up to 800 watts.
- Pure sinewave hybrid inverter
- Works as a inverter and a UPS for PC
- ATC technology increases battery lifespan
- Solar panel charging
- Automatic bypass feature
- Maximum backup of up to 800 watts
- 2 Year Onsite Warranty
- Slightly expensive, but reduces your power bills since it works on free solar energy
5.Microtek UPS 24Ã—7 Hb 950Va Hybrid Sinewave Inverter
This is hybrid sinewave home inverter which comes with a capacity of 950VA.
You can use it as a inverter or a UPS for PC.
Thanks to IBGM technology, it increases battery life by up to 6 months.
There is also a bypass switch in case of any UPS failure. It comes with PWM controlled multi stage charging with auto-trickle mode.
- Hybrid Sinewave inverter
- Works as both an inverter and a UPS for PC
- IBGM technology boosts battery life
- Bypass switch
- PWM controlled multi-stage charging with auto-trickle mode
- No humming sound
- 2 Years Onsite Warranty
- Not suitable for heavy electronics
6.APC Home UPS 850VA Sine Wave BI850SINE
American Power Conversion Corporation (APC by Schneider Electric) is one of the best inverter brands that are known for manufacturing home UPS keeping our frequent power outages in mind.
This is a sine wave inverter with maximum output of 500 watts. It has a LED display and a UPS inverter switch.
You can use this switch to convert the inverter into a dedicated UPS for your PC and vice versa.
- Pure Sine Wave Inverter
- Shock-proof and Child-safe
- Suitable for Indian power conditions
- Maximum load up to 500 watts
- Compact and Lightweight
- Comes with 2 Year Warranty
- No bypass switch
7.Exide 850Va Pure Sinewave Home Ups Inverter
Exide is a well known Indian company which is known to many as a battery manufacturer.
They also make UPS inverters for home and the Exide 850VA is a pure sinewave inverter with digital display.
It has a high speed microprocessor and comes with latest DSP technology.
The inverter comes with a maximum capacity of up to 580 watts and the UPS transfer time is just 10 milliseconds, which is very fast.
You also have the electrolyte level sensor indicator that reminds you when there is low water level in the battery.
- Pure SInewave
- Equipped with latest DSP, high speed microprocessor
- Digital LCD display
- Maximum load up to 580 watts
- UPS switchover time is just 10 milliseconds
- Comes with 2 Years Warranty
- Slight noise from the cooling fan, which is not noticeable from the distance
8.Microtek Upseb 900 Va Inverter
This is a budget friendly inverter for those who wanted a good inverter at a lowe price.
It comes with a single battery system that is easy to maintain.
It has a LCD display with 6 indicators. You can use it for regular appliances but not heavy.
This square wave inverter comes fitted with Constant Current, Constant Voltage (CCCV) technology, short circuit protection, smart overload sensor, auto-reset feature and auto-trickle mode.
- Budget friendly (Square Wave Inverter)
- Microcontroller based
- LCD display with six useful indicators
- CCCV technology with auto-trickle mode
- Short-Circuit protection
- 2 Year Onsite Warranty
- Not a sine-wave and hence should not be used with heavy electronic appliances
- No bypass switch
That’s the end of the list friends! All these inverter UPS systems are best according to the industry standards and user reviews. Depending on your requirement and budget, you can choose the best inverter for home use from these top 10 inverters.