Sewing Machine is an essential tool that should be available in every home, as it comes handy in several situations like when you wanted to stitch your torn garments, fixing loose or tight clothes, stitching buttons etc… without leaving your home.
Of-course, you can even do embroidery stitching on your own and save a lot of money or even make a side income.
The latest sewing machines in India come with advanced features to help you sew faster and with more efficiency.
Types of Sewing Machines in India
Basically, there are 5 different types of sewing machines, depending on their features like sewing, quilting and embroidery.
1.Mechanical Sewing Machine
These are also called as manual sewing machines aka domestic machines.
They come with basic settings that need manual intervention of the user.
These are inexpensive, easy to use and are ideal for beginners. They can also be repaired easily.
Most manual sewing machines are made of aluminum body and comes with fixed table stand.
The basic versions are usually operated by foot. However, you can also get motor operated machines.
Features – built-in presser feet,bottom loading bobbin, adjustable tension, adjustable stitch length, single stitch (straight and reverse).
- Very affordable
- Ideal for Beginners or household tailoring needs
- Easily repairable
- No built-in stitch patterns
- Not suitable for sewing thick fabrics like leather or denim
- Needle threading has to be done again and again
- Only forward/straight stitch capability
- Requires more space and not easily movable
Price: The domestic sewing machine price in India starts from Rs.2500/- to Rs.15000/-
2.Electronic Sewing Machine
Electronic sewing machines are the next level of manual machines as they come with more advanced features and requires no manual operation.
They come with a powerful motor to run the wheel so there is no more suffering from back pain or hip pain issues.
They come with a variety of features that are required for professionals.
These are lightweight, compact and come with LCD screen to choose the stitch patterns and other functions.
Features – These are best for high quality stitching, multiple stitching patterns, hemming, embroidery, blind stitch, zip fixing, smocking, buttonhole stitch, reverse stitch lever, quilting, built-in needle threader, auto tripping, twin needle compatibility, adjustable stitch length and width, adjustable needle positioning and many more…
- Ideal for professionals, tailors and heavy sewing needs
- Lightweight and compact
- Multiple stitch patterns and functionalities
- LCD screen to select patterns
- Easy to use
- Comes with a motor and pedal (no more back/hip pains)
- Little expensive (depending on the number of features you want)
- Need technical assistance for any repairs which is extra cost
Price: These electronic sewing machines usually range from Rs.6000 to Rs.25000 in India, depending on the features you require.
Best Buy: Usha Janome Automatic Sewing Machine
3.Embroidery Sewing Machine
These electronic sewing machines are mainly used for embroidery works and a dedicated embroidery presser foot is attached to the machine.
If you’ve special embroidery needs, then you can select the automatic sewing machine that have embroidery feature with multiple patterns.
- Ideal for professionals, tailors and embroidery workers
- Many automatic stitch patterns are available, specially designed for embroidery works
- Saves a lot of time and money on skilled labor
- Little bulky
- Works mainly for embroidery works
- Little expensive
Price: The price of an embroidery machine in India starts from Rs.8000 to Rs.80000.
4.Overlock Sewing Machine
Overlocker sewing machines are also called as ‘Sergers’ in different countries.
These machines are mainly used to seam or overlock the fabric material. In layman’s language, you can join or sew the edges of the fabric together using these machines.
These are mostly used by the tailors or professionals to give premium finishing to your garments.
You can also see this overlocking design in fabrics like napkins, lingerie designing, pillow covers, hemming curtains and many more decorative garments.
Features – Built-in cutter, multiple thread stitch patterns, adjustment of stitch length and width
- Ideal for professionals or tailors to give good finishing at the edges of fabric
- Fast and time saving
- Used in styling the inner fabric of the blouses, salwar kameez etc…
- Not much beneficial for regular home users
- Little pricey; if you choose 4 or 5 thread stitch overlocker.
Price: The single threaded overlocker machines are less expensive compared to 4 or 5 thread overlockers. The price starts from Rs.3000 to Rs.50000.
Best Buy: Guru Special Overlock Machine
5.Computerized Sewing Machine
These are high tech sewing machines that can be connected to the Computer, Internet or Cards loaded with designs.
The automated sewing machines come in large sizes with multiple needles, spool spinners for different color options and hence are best suited for industry purposes where there is a need for bulk stitching of clothes with various specifications.
They come with in-built stich capacity ranging from a minimum of 50 to a maximum of 200.
They also work very fast and are efficient at the same time.
There is a special feature called ‘Autopilot Stitching Mode’ that controls the speed, thread tension and stitch strength automatically.
You can give the input design either from the computer, Internet or design card and the rest of the process will be taken care of by the machine.
- Ideal for small textile industries
- Any type of fabric can be handled
- Saves a lot of time and money on manual workers
- You can download patterns from the Internet and let the machine stitch them accordingly
- You’ll get the complete DIY tutorial from the manufacturer
- Technical issues require special assistance
- Very expensive; Not for regular home users
Price: The computerized sewing machines price in India starts from Rs.25000 to Rs.100000/-
Best Buy: Usha Janome Computerized Sewing Machine
Well. these are the different types of sewing machines available in India, depending on your needs and budget preferences.